Friday, August 19, 2011

Garden magic and Chinese mayhem

Visiting the Artful Garden http://www.theartfulgarden.ca/ had been on the Frost "bucket list" ever since we were told of it by Lesley and Peter and Marsha and Brian and John and Barbara and many others........ Yes the Artful Garden is a must do if you are interested in gardens or are interested in art or are interested in serenity and these are things that have become a more important part of my psyche. 

These were the final days of the 14th annual exhibition and I had deliberately left my visit until closer to the end as I was trying to dodge the heat and humidity that would make walking too taxing. Luckily I had Dianne as my companion for the morning and I was able to use her photography skills which enabled me to use my walking poles uninterrupted rather than needing to put them down each time I wanted to take a picture. My walking is slow enough! And there are lots and lots of photo opportunities!!!






The art was, as you may see, interesting and different, but it was also very, very good. I'm understanding what the thinking was when they called the Muskoka a "Designated Arts Community". Luckily for me I've had time to enjoy it.
As well as fantastic outdoor sculpture there was more traditional painting and pottery in Suzann and John Partridge's studio and gallery. The buildings and the gardens add to what is a wonderful place and to top off the experience outdoor speakers (rock shaped of course) play soothing music. No wonder thousands of people attend every year.



Now the last one is a chookhouse!!! And I guess this next one was the place for me because as Willo said "all Australian boys need a shed".


Yet another special place.............


Headed home via the Bracebridge Farmers Market and after about four hours on my feet I was quite satisified to spend the rest of the day reading and then watching the Canadian Football League Saturday night game.

Sunday saw me back on my bike for a long ride around the streets of Gravenhurst and that is one thing that think I am going to miss when I return home but I guess I could always improve my fitness to the extent that I can ride up Hillcrest Avenue. Hills look easy when Cadel goes up them!

Again a fairly slow day but later in the afternoon after the bread I made finished baking and had cooled sufficiently to slice I headed around to John and Barbara's place with a jar of world famous Frost's Creamed Honey. We had been speaking on anotherof how different types of honey varied in flavour and that the process of creaming liquid honey made for a lovely flavour and smooth consistency. Mmmmmmaybe I could get a job selling honey!

The bread and honey were well received and the suggestion was made that we have a cool drink and as I didn't want to appear rude I agreed with the general consensus that the "sun was over the yard arm" somewhere! Barbara enjoyed a Canadian chardonnay while John had his favoured Beer and tomato juice and tho I was offered the same as John I took a rain check and settled for the white wine.

As ever with the Christensen's conversation was entertaining and easy with everchanging, interesting subjects. Given my current circumstances and although SKYPE to Julie is good, friends have been very important.

Food & especially dinner were part of the discussion and although I had food that was easy to prepare at home a suggestion to dine out was made. Former Lawyer,John , is difficult to deter much less refuse and we I found myself heading out to North West Restaurant which as delightful as it looked had a perfect way to refuse us. IT WAS CLOSED!!!!!

Not to be deterred we headed into Gravenhurst and to the Rickshaw Restuarant. Well this was a memorable meal. With an almost full room we  were pointed to an empty table near the back by a frantic waitress who apparently had about as much knowledge of english as I have of mandarin. Four of our five dishes (including two entrees) arrived simultaneously as did our three unopened Tsintao beers without the requested glass, the phone had been ringing unanswered for 10 minutes and the whole place resembled an asian version of Fawlty Towers.

BUT the food was good, the company was great and I guess it had been a very busy weekend.  It would get 4 stars from me!!!! 

A fun ending to another interesting weekend.

ps the other dish arrived as we were  getting ready to leave and was worth waiting for. 




No comments:

Post a Comment