Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Canadian Icon - Algonquin Park

Friend and fellow Grace and Speed volunteer, Eileen  called and asked whether I was interested in going for a drive to Algonquin Park with her and her friends Dianne and Louise. As I am hardly overwhelmed with appointments these days and the opportunity to spend the day in one of Canada's natural treasures was too good to refuse.

Lately a trip like this would start with me  punching the destination into Mrs Garmin and settling into the luxurious seat of the CuRVy and in this case heading north on Highway 11 but in this case I was heading closer to home. Eileen lives on Gull Lake and although I  would have found her place easily I put what I thought was her address into Mrs Garmin and between Mrs Garmin and my directions I was sent on a wild (Canada) goose chase. But in this case it wasn't  Mrs Garmin who was at fault it was the former apiarist!!!!! 

Luckily the old Aussie bushman realised that I was heading in the wrong direction and I was able "RECALUCATE"! My early adventure made us a bit late heading off on our adventure and we joined a busy Highway 11 on our way to Huntsville. We were following the route I had travelled on a number of occassions as it is the way we travel to Ottawa.

Heading onto Highway 60 we passed through the West Gate of Algonquin Park and purchased the one day visitors pass that is required to access the park facilities. On the other occassions Julie and I have bought a pass we have parked in an empty parking lot walked into a deserted Visitor's Centre. Today there was one parking space and the line at the counter was heading out the door! Oh well Algonquin Provincial Park is an iconic place.

We passed by overflowing parking lots at trail heads looking for a suitable coffee spot and settled on a picnic bench near a beach at Smoke Lake. Nice, yes, Iconic, yes, Needed, Yes! And representative of the region, YES, YES, YES!









Totally caffeinated and visually satisified we headed further into the Park and on to the Algonquin Art Centre http://www.algonquinartcentre.com/ for a look at the park through an Artist's eyes.

The art on display is stunning and I was very glad that I kept my wallet under control. Well maybe I'm exaggerating just a little bit the Visa did  escape and I am going to be coming home with a T shirt. Mind you one of Hilary Clark Cole's 
http://users.vianet.ca/hcc/muskox_steel_sculpture_by_canadian_sculptor_hilary_clark_cole.html sculptures would be nice at 6 Perkins... A muskox would be nice near the chookhouse!!!

Back into the Limo (well I did have a driver and it wasn't the CuRVy) and further on into the iconic Algonquin Park. Lunch was after a side trip into a nice campground at Canisbay Lake although I do suspect we may have incurred a little damage from the road in. Mmmmmmaybe the mighty CuRVy would have been a good option after all.

I've seen some small safe netted swimming areas and if I hear a complaint about Bar Beach in Wagonga I might ask the Narooma News to print this photograph.

Maybe with a swimming area this large I could consider requalifying for my Bronze!
On a serious side the lakes of Algonquin, the Muskoka and indeed all of Ontario are wonderful.

And wherever you seem to go near a lake you seem to find Canada's iconic form of transport; the canoe. The amazing thing is just what a successful method of travel canoeing was and is. Many things are similar in Canada and Australia but here is where there is a definite divergence. Put it simply Canada has water.

Picnic lunches have always been popular with me and the one that we had on this day was very nice indeed. Undoubtably the view across a pristine lake improved my appetite.

Hunger satisified it was into the car and further east along Highway 60 to the Algonquin Visitor's Centre and Museum. The museum is worthwhile seeing and the dioramas and displays are good and give you the opportunity to see well preserved specimens of Black Bear, and Moose but I think it's in need of a bit of a spruceup. Perhaps it is at the end of a busy period and perhaps I'm a wee bit biased but Grace and Speed at Gravenhurst looks fresher. Although the wolf sculpture is pretty good! 

And so are the views of the arboreal forests of the Canadian Shield from the back deck!!!!!




Our history lesson hadn't finished so our next stop was at another...............Museum!

This time it was onto the Algonquin Logging Museum. Yes! There is a Logging Museum in one of Canada's iconic natural spaces, Algonquin Provincial Park. There is a good reason for this the Park was declared in 1893, not to stop logging but to protect the headwaters of 5 major rivers that drain into the Ottawa River.

The logging museum is very well done and although the walking trail was at the limit of my walking distance towards the end of a long  I was happy I'd made the effort. You travel in chronological order past displays that depict the life from early loggers through to the present day.




And no matter where you go you find evidence of the eariest civilization know to Surf Clubs - THE BOATIE!!!!!!!!!!


It would take a pretty good crew for this to be used for the "Bass" but I bet it would look spectacular coming into Narooma with a big north east swell behind it!!!!

Following the final history lesson it was back home for us and for me a quiet meal and sleep! A great day with convivial company... 


No comments:

Post a Comment